Monday, December 23, 2013

Holiday Feeling

NEW HARTFORD, NY- Alone out in the pouring rain I struggled. It had been three days since I noticed my headlight going out and my wife was on me to get it fixed. She was right of course, it needed to be dealt with. Not only because I feared getting a ticket so close to Christmas but for safety reasons as well. It of course made it difficult to see at night and guide my vehicle on these winter roads of central New York. I was concerned especially for when my wife drives it.

So the first stop I made was over to Advanced Auto Parts to get the right bulb. I figured I was in for an easy fix. I had replaced the bulbs in my rear lights many a time and was accustom to the knowledge needed to fix it. So I go in and ask the guy what kind of bulb I need, he gets it, easy. I go out to my car, lift up my hood and prop it, as I look at my headlight I notice a long screw in it keeping it attached. No problem, I go to my trunk and get out my tools, well I try every ratchet head I have and wouldn't you know I have the wrong size, of course.

Now I'm texting every friend I have if they have a ratchet set. None of them do. This happened to me last time when I thought I needed a jump and none of them had jumpers, of course I hadn't had any either. This I realize is a bit of a problem, it seems that the men of my generation and around it are insanely unprepared when it comes to having tools, at least in my circles. So this brings me to Sears.

Finally I get to Sears and I buy a small ratchet set for $8, I get out to my car, prop the hood up, get the right ratchet and unscrew the screw, easy. So now the headlight is supposed to just slide out straight easily, well I'm pulling on it, I'm pulling on it and the damn sucker just won't come out. This little family comes out to the mini van parked in front of me and they get in their vehicle. Now I'm still struggling away at this thing because after all the trouble of getting the bulb and the right ratchet set I'll be damned if I'm this close and I don't fix it, the family however is still there just watching me from inside their car. Rain is pouring down on me, I'm frustrated to no end, I'm thinking, 'why doesn't this guy and his adorable family get out of here and stop staring at me, probably laughing, I know I would be'. What does the guy do? He gets out of his car and asks if I need help, not only him but his wife too! I'm like, 'yeah if you wouldn't mind', they're like, 'not at all'. So now this random couple and I are all struggling for minutes what feels like hours. Finally we get the sucker out, I figure out which light it is and as it turns out it was just a little loose and the light pops on! I didn't even have to change it! So I thank the family very much and wish them happy holidays and new year and we part ways.

That situation really made me thankful for kindness in strangers, its rare but it does happen! The holidays are a great time of year when people really think of their fellow man and wish all a joyful time! It's not just in movies and TV shows and books, its out there in real life! So here's to wishing everyone  a  joyous and love filled holiday and new year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment